Tuesday 24 February 2015

Waffen SS Company

Another project I am starting this year is attempting to put on a game for the battle of Rostov in 1942. Not the most well known of battles, it was in reality quite one sided as the Russians chose to retreat rather than stand. However, it does have some interesting potential for a game. It saw the SS Wiking division attack alongside the Slovak Fast division while on the Russian side the NKVD caused some havoc and put up a stiff resistance in the town.

I already have the tanks for SS Wiking in the summer of 1942, so now wanted to put together Kampfgruppe Dieckman which was the force put together by Wiking to attack Rostov. The infantry was the 1st battalion of the SS 'Germania' regiment, along with a company of engineers and artillery support.

I have used the Valiant 'Classic German infantry' box as I had it and, frankly, wanted an excuse to use it! I love Valiants, really nice models.






I've also had my first go at changing heads on some of the models - a pin vice from my ship models meant I could do this now; and using Nigel Higgens (from NBHW) blog, 'view from the duck pond' on which he posted a really good video tutorial on how to do it.

Overall pretty pleased, shame no smocks for the SS, but hey, it was the height of summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment